Wednesday, August 1, 2012

New Things

So many new things are happening right now!  I just wouldn't be able to keep up with life if I were to blog about them all.  But here are some of the highlights:
  1. Jane is potty training!  Yes, folks, I have reentered the potty training world.  Noah's potty training was such a parenting debacle--it was a real test of not just parenting skills but also character, I'm telling you, and it lasted for over a year--that I have to admit I've been pretty gun shy about starting with Jane.  But when your child starts disappearing for a few minutes at a time then reappearing without her diaper and shouting jubilantly that she has used the potty, well, it's probably time.  (This may have something to do with the fact that she knew that jelly beans were involved with potty training.)  We started in earnest about four days ago, and so far, she has had two successes at Mom and Dad's prompting.  Really, she's still not getting it.  But I am hopeful that if we are just consistent for a few more days, something will click.  In fact, I humbly request prayers in that direction, if you are so inclined.
  2. Noah is starting school in a few weeks!  After much angst about the schooling issue, we have decided to enroll Noah in a small Christian school nearby.  They meet only two days a week, and the home school component (which is a big deal at this school) is optional for Pre-K, which is what swung me in their direction in the end.  After doing my "co-teacher required reading" and buying school supplies, I do have to say that I'm getting excited about the prospect, but I am also glad that my role will not have any high expectations attached, since I will be, er, kind of busy and tired this fall. 
  3. Did I tell you we're having a girl?  I realized that I have not made an announcement on the blog that our new baby is a girl!  We've known for quite some time now, but for some reason, it never made it up here.  We had such sure expectations that it was a boy that we were in a bit of shock for a while that we were having another daughter (not only has this pregnancy felt more like Noah's, but Nathan's side of the family is nearly all boys for generations, and we had always felt that Jane's being a girl was a bonus).  Although I was happy to be having another girl, it did take me a while to be able to wrap my mind around what a family with two girls would be like; I just always expected to have a passel of boys!  In any case, I'm now about 34 weeks pregnant, and I think I am starting to experience some nesting.  I've never been one to go too crazy in that department, but I will say that I am itching to go through Jane's old clothes and figure out what we need, and it's chafing me that I haven't had time to do that yet.  The delivery date, by the way, will be September 7 (we scheduled it a couple of weeks ago--no more labors for me!).  Now if we can just decide on a name....

No comments: